Thursday, November 23, 2006

Biggest Betfair loss ever

OK. Well I doubt the punter who lost £237,000 in one bet recently is the poor sod who holds the unenviable title of biggest Betfair loss ever. But I wouldn't mind a small punt his £237k loss is the biggest accidental fuck up. You see, our unfortunate friend layed at 1000, perhaps instead of backing it. And in the flash of an eye wiped nearly quarter of a million quid from his account. Doh!

Our man met his Waterloo in the 7.30 at Wolverhampton on November 18. By all accounts he either intended to place a bet at 1000 (999/1) on the pre race favourite Peregrine Falcon. Or more likely was lining up a lay of 1000 and submitted it too early. Whatever, he definitely did his bollocks to the tune of £237k and left 3 other bemused Betfair punters staring at their onscreen balances wondering what the hell was going on. One of them made a staggering £214,000 from the mistake.

Betfair spokesman Tony Calvin said: "It looks as if the layer simply made a mistake, as all prices matched have to be confirmed before they are traded.

"The only alternative I could imagine is that the layer was using an automatic trading system, and that there was some kind of problem with it.

"Nothing untoward is considered to have taken place, other than a genuine error on someone's part."

Well I guess anyone who can accidentally lose nearly a quarter of a million pounds that is laying around in their Betfair account can afford to. But it's got to hurt. And then some. Going to take a while to claw that lot back!

Anyway, of course attention on the Betfair horse racing forum turned swiftly to the identity of the big loser. Warwick Hunt, the big banked in running 1.01 er was an early favourite having fessed up to big losses in the past. But it appears he's not our man this time.

However, he did post a great video link about the loss. All about forumite Alf Hukker. (Geddit? For both the names?!) Now I barely read the Betfair horse racing forum and don't pretend to know or understand all the shenanigans, wind ups and private jokes on it but I always thought these were the same guy?! What the fuck do I know though. Alf Hukker says it wasn't him that lost and makes another suggestion in a thread all about it on the racing forum. Whatever the truth, whoever did their bollocks, the video is well worth a watch anyway.


Quality stuff I'm sure you'll agree! Anyway, I guess the serious Betfair players all know the identity of the £237k loser. Something that a small timer like myself will just have to wonder about.

Either way it puts my recent losses into perspective and makes me feel a whole lot better about them!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

SA ere
Can I post some of this excellent post on my own site? with a link to you?
Phil

The Betfair Trader said...

Sure, of course mate. Please do include a link somewhere though. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Hi

I think I read somewhere that you use a one click trading tool, BetAngel I believe.

Picking up on another of your posts I realised there was a free version and downloaded it.

What struck me is that all of you who use software like this are risking getting stung by laying a 1000/1 shot by mistake.

If you lay with a 1 second refresh and have confirm switched off, if all sensible lay prices disappeared suddenly you could click on a 1000/1 lay without noticing.

This risk may not be evident to all players as normally there is liquidity at more sensible prices. But your only real safety net is the maximum liability amount.

Have I missed something here or is this really a risk people are open to?

Great BLOG by the way.


Regards

Tony

Anonymous said...

Hi
Great blog site
can i just ask where you got that quote from Tony Calvin from?

The Betfair Trader said...

Tony> Hi, yes, I do use Bet Angel. (And hope you're finding the free version useful.) I also use Racing Traders and am in the process of trying out the Sports Trading Workstation.

Not entirely sure what you mean. I use the ladder trading interface on the software I've used so far with refresh rates set at several times a second. I don't think it's possible to lay something accidentally at 1000 in the way you describe. Certainly with Bet Angel you'd have to scroll the ladder up. And with Racing Traders if you hover the mouse over the ladder it holds it still so you always submit a bet at the price you intended to.

As you say, to make double sure, you can use the max liability function - and even chose to remove the one click option and reconfirm all bets. (Though I don't use the latter.)

So I'm not sure the risk you describe is a real one.

As for the guy who lost the £237k that's not how he did it either. From what I can tell he was a regular 1000 layer of horses when it became obvious the horse hadn't won. (Falling, drifting from the back of the field etc.) I think he simply accidentally submitted a bet early when he just meant to set it up just as the race turned in running. He was left with the option of either bailing for a massive guaranteed loss. Or hoping the horse didn't win. Staring at a loss that big I reckon I'd have just left it as it appears he did. Unfortunately for him, the horse won.

The Betfair Trader said...

Anon> Curious as to who you are? I read the quote in a newspaper and believe I took it from an Associated News article I found online. To be honest I thought I'd linked to it but seems I forgot too. So I'm guessing either an agency like PA / National got it and pinged it around to everyone, or someone from AN got it directly.

Anonymous said...

Hi

Perhaps the paid for version of BetAngel allows you to control the odds you bet at.

The free version does not have an odds ladder, just 3 back buttons and 3 lay buttons, the prices each represents change very quickly so I do think there is a risk, perhaps an unlikely one, of an inadvertent 1.01 back or 1000/1 lay.

I am going on Peter Webb's trading course in a few days so I can get it from the horse's mouth.


Regards

Tony

Anonymous said...

More likely a setup to give Betfair a nice publicity story!